The Hand Poke Tattoo Kit contains everything you need for the creation of a permanent hand poked tattoo. Here's a guide with the steps you must follow to make a hand poked tattoo safely. We strongly encourage you to read them as many times as needed before you start poking and to contact us (hello [at] handpoketattookit.com if you have any questions.
1. Read all warnings before use.
2. Choose a body part to tattoo, not near a mucous membrane.
3. Get an empty can or bottle. You will need it later too place the needle in it for safe transport to your local sharps disposal facility (ask pharmacies and hospitals).
4. Create a flat and clean area for the materials.
5. Open the box and take out all the content. Open the wrapped content.
6. (Optional) Prepare stencil.
7. Wash selected body part and hands vigorously with antibacterial soap.
8. Put on the gloves. Eye protection is also recommended.
9. Lay out medical covering. Place materials (ink bottle, ink cup, tongue depressor, hustle butter, needles, grips, wipe, bandaid, pads, lubricant and the stencil design) on this clean surface. Place the opened box somewhere on your reach, so you can throw the garbage without touching the box.
10. Open the Hustle Butter and the ink cup, put a tiny amount of butter on the bottom of the cup, glue the cup to the the tongue depressor, and place the tongue depressor on the medical covering. This will prevent the cup from falling.
11. Shake the ink bottle and squeeze the ink provided. Fill to the top, place the bottle aside and don't touch it again during the process to prevent cross-contamination. The ink in the cup should be more than enough to complete a small hand poke tattoo.
12. Shave the area with the razor if there is some hair. Once you are done, re-shield the razor blade and throw it inside the box. The used razor blade is a biohazard contaminant.
13. Sterilize the skin around the area meant for the tattoo with one of the two alcohol prep pads provided. Once you are done, throw the used pad and wrapping inside the box.
14. (If using stencil) Rub a small amount of stencil transfer lubricant on the skin, spread this around until skin is damp, but not wet (wet areas will make the stencil ink run). Place the stencil on the skin and press firmly for a minute. Remove the stencil and allow area to dry for 8 minutes. This will keep the stencil ink on the skin for longer.
15. Take the needle out of the package and wrap the grip to it.
16. Rub a small amount of Hustle Butter on the skin, and spread this around the skin. This will keep the skin moist, making it easier to take the ink, and will allow you to wipe the ink spill without it staining the skin.
17. Dip tip of needle into the ink. A little bit of ink should remain on needle.
18. Poke skin with amount of pressure enough to puncture only the top few layers of skin (epidermis), but not enough to get through the whole thing (0.2-1.5mm, depending on skin thickness). You will feel some resistance and then a slight tug as you withdraw. There should not be much blood. Start light. Ink will not deposit if it is too light. Too deep will cause scarring/raised tattoos and ink to spread.
19. Clean area with a a wipe as needed to clear ink and to see the stencil. Don't forget to dab on some Hustle Butter to prevent the ink from spreading each time you wipe. A dot of ink should remain where you poked within the skin.
20. Repeat #17-19 until a small tattoo is formed. Don’t touch anything else with your dirty gloved hands during this process.
21. Clean the tattoo with the second alcohol wipe, put on some Hustle Butter and then cover the tattoo with the sterile bandaid.
22. Put the needle inside the plastic bottle or aluminum can without touching it with the gloves, for safe transport to your local sharps disposal facility (ask pharmacies and hospitals).
23. Collect all soiled items and throw them inside the box. Remove gloves by pinching the wrist area on one glove - pull to turn it inside out half way. Then with clean side half exposed, pinch the other wrist and pull until both gloves are inside-out in a bundle. Add to the box.
24. Close box and seal it with the “Biohazard” sticker included and throw it into the trash. Wash hands with vigor and clean the surfaces in the area with a bleach-water solution.
25. Read aftercare post.
Note: The hand poke tattoo kit is for one time use. Discard kit contents after use (except the ink inside the bottle).